Monday, March 10

Day 7: Eat to Run or Run to Eat?

Hey All!

I hope you had a fabulous weekend!  I sure had a crazy one!

This past weekend I sure got some major miles in with running!   See below!



In order to be able to run all of that you have to fuel your body with good clean foods!  If I ate how I ate over a year ago, I wouldn't have been able to do it.

How do you fuel your body?

For every workout you do, you should eat about 1-2 hours beforehand, a light lean snack!  [No not cookies, no not soda!  Good lean snacks that will help you, not hinder you!] This will help jump start your metabolism to start working so you can push it that extra mile!  

I recommend going off the list down below to start and play around with [HEALTHY] foods that agree with your body.  Some people don't need as much while others need more.  If you are trying to build muscle, you need some sort of protein or healthy fats in this pre-workout snack.   In fact, carbs, while good release energy too quickly and will actually hinder, not help your workout.  You'll burn out too quickly and be running on empty.  Sounds great but in reality you will end up not building muscle and pooping out.  BUT, if you have the choice between eating good carbs and candy, go with the carbs!  Better healthy than not!

A Few Other Pre-Snacks I've Seen:
-hard boiled egg
-1 slice of toast c/peanut butter and walnuts
-handfull of almonds with celery
-banana
-trail mix
-peanut butter and 1/2 an apple
-small smoothie c/protein powder

and of coarse...WATER!  Drink your water before, during and after a work out!

Notice all of these foods are CLEAN!  No bad processed stuff!  These snacks can also be used for a post-work snack if your workout requires one.

But wait...aren't you supposed to eat LESS and workout MORE!?!?

Yes, BUT--if you are doing it right; making good healthy choices and timing everything--you won't be eating any extra snacks!  Clean eating is all about eating small portions of good unprocessed foods and eating those portions throughout the day.  I rarely go 2 hours without eating or drinking!

AND--if you are like me, training for an event, say a 1/2 marathon, the rules differ even more!  You will have to eat during your workout, but that's another story:)  


So what did I eat on March 9th?  I gotta admit, there was a slight emotional eating for dinner due to my stress.  Ugh.  Other than that, I had a pretty good day.  The 5 mile run jumpstarted my metabolism so I was up and running all day!

Breakfast:  Banana and Peanut Butter Goodness [was also a pre-workout snack combination]


This time I tried eating them with sandwich pockets.  I like them because they are easier to manage than toast, but the pack on more calories [about 30.]  Also, they are higher in sodium, so I try not to eat them daily!  However, this was also combined with pre-snack as I was to go on a 5M run after consuming this yummy-ness! 

Lunch: Leftover Pizza w/Yogurt


It was good:)

Dinner: Emotional Eating Train: More Banana and PB Goodness, a few chips and a chicken finger.


I guess that wasn't TOO bad...I just don't like eating for the sake of stuffing my face.  I was just tired. Man, did work stink this entire weekend.

Snack:
1.  Protein Bar c/2 chicken bobs [servered as my post snack]

2.  Carrots and the Nature Valley


3.  Another 10 chips and 10 wheaties

That's all I got for now!  I will post food for March 10th tonight!

<3
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comment with me!